Home | About Us | Trips | Events | Links | Forum | Blog

Jiaying's Blah-blah...

Sunday, December 12, 2004

Paul Van Dyke

Paul Van Dyk 2004 Shanghai Concert FlyerSomewhere above the Pacific Ocean, as I was perusing through my piled up emails, I read the news that No. 2 DJ in the world -- Paul Van Dyk will be performing in Shanghai's club Rojam on 12/11. Perfect timing! I will be able to make it!!

Although my favorite DJ is Tiësto, I do also have an impressive collection of Paul Van Dyke's recordings. I have been to live events featuring Tiësto (San Francisco and ChengDu, China) and Paul Oakenfold (Shanghai), Paul Van Dyk in action definitely sounds exciting.

I went to Rojam last night with many friends: Whit, Quoc, Shell, Pauline, Yoko, June and others; the crowd was mostly foreigners and westernized locals. The steep 160RMB cover charge (expensive by comparison) kept out a lot of locals. There was just the right amount of people, crowded but not packed. Numerous other lesser known DJs spinned before and after Paul Van Dyk's main event, which was scheduled from 1-3am. It was a good time, lot of glow sticks and crazy dancing. During the course of the night, I have met people from Minnesota, Japan, France, Germany, Hong Kong and of course, Shanghai. One of the reasons why I really like Trance music is the sense of the community, at events like this, people are so friendly, everybody seems to enjoy music and respect other people's way of expressing themselves.

Paul was good, and lift the roof with his thump-thumps, but he only performed for two hours, pretty lame comparing to Tiësto's six hours solo performance, which he is known for. At Tiësto's concert, you really get your money worth, and he is always the best DJ on my rating chart. In Tiësto we trust...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


<< Home