Home | About Us | Trips | Events | Links | Forum | Blog

Jiaying's Blah-blah...

Friday, May 23, 2008

Wired

Gotta love technology! I am sitting in the passenger seat typing up this blog while Frank speeds down on the Interstate I-5 towards LA, and the best part is, I am actually doing this blog in real time, online!

Itching to know how? Want to know my setup? ;-) I am sure when it comes to technology as cool as this, anyone can be as geeky as me!

Gears:
  • Novatel U727 EVDO BroadBand USB Card (Sprint, 1.5Mbps)
  • CrandlePoint Pocket Router PHS300 (802.11b/g, EVDO router, 4x wifi connections)
  • MacBook Pro 15"

I can simply plug the U727 into my MacBook Pro to get online, but that's nothing new, not cool enough. Here is the cool part: the U727 USB can directly plug in to the PHS300 pocket router, and the PHS300 will automatically broadcast the internet connection out, just like a regular home wifi router, and supports up to four laptops to jump online at the same time. So, even tho Frank is flooring the gas pedal and challenge the limit of our rental mini-van on the highway, I am happily cocooned in my personal moving wifi bubble, browsing online... Now that's cool!

Frank calls himself the "GearWhore", but I think "GearSlut" is more accurate. ;-) Every time we travel together, we end up bringing more electronic gears to land Apollo 13 on the moon. Two years ago, the four of us, Frank and his wifey Connie, I and my then still girlfriend Vivian vacationed in Florida for two weeks. We drove up and down the length of FL hitting all the major tourist destination like clockwork. However, by the end of the tour, our car was probably more worn out by all the battery juice we drained out of it. We definitely went overboard that time with our 1x radar detector, 3x iPods, 3x laptops, 4x cameras, 1x DV, 3x GPS, and of course 4x cell phones... At night, all the LCD and LEDs from our junks decorated our cabin like strobe lights in the discotheque! We are slaves to our gears... ;-)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:
  • sweet!

    FYI, for those with AT&T HSPA devices like USBconnect 881U... the Cradlepoint works with that and even all the Verizon USB modems!

    check out this full PHS300 review! http://www.EVDOinfo.com/PHS300

    By Blogger alexsian, @ 5/23/2008 2:06 PM  

  • even better!

    oh, another thing, from Bay Area to LA, I was never dropped offline, pretty impressed with Sprint's mobile broadband service! (although there were some bad signal low speed pockets on I-5)

    By Blogger Jiaying, @ 5/23/2008 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment


<< Home